This is my first attempt at a blog since 2007. Back then, I used it more as a method to communicate and discuss issues with my AP World students -- it was somewhat effective, but as technology evolved, it did not remain attractive for students to utilize it.
A few things getting me started on this new blog that will be directed at history educators for integrating of technology and world history. There's been a lot of work done out there already, so I am not yet sure of the focus of my writing, or if this will simply be a repository of the great material that I curate from others, but this is part of my New Year's Resolution to start writing and reflecting more, sooo here we go!
New Year's Resolutions 2015 in regards to AP World:
- Reassess Best Assessment practices -- I already started doing this because of my reflections on teaching and assessment practices this summer while I was traveling in China. More about that later, but I'm interested in looking at mastery rather than the end-game be the grade. Some of my thinking has been spurred by what I've reading about #TTOG: http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/leadership_360/2014/12/grading_students_work_past_or_future_world_tbt.html
- Rework my WWI lesson plans -- I know that I really teach this event in history in a totally Euro-centric way. Thoughts about revamping was also spurred on by a recent FB interaction on these articles:
1) A Global Guide to the First World War -- http://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2014/jul/23/a-global-guide-to-the-first-world-war-interactive-documentary
2) The Forgotten Soldiers: India in the Great War - http://wilsonquarterly.com/quarterly/fall-2014-the-great-wars/forgotten-soldiers-india-in-great-war/
3) The African Roots of War, but WEB DuBois - http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/08/the-african-roots-of-war/373403/
- New Curriculum Framework: Last but not least -- wrap my head around the new APWH CF and the new structure of the exam:
Here's the new CF which is rolling out in the 2016-2017 academic year: bit.ly/APWHCF